Model United Nations
The University of La Verne will host it’s second Model Arab League Conference, March 14-16, 2014.. More information on registration and conference agenda will be available in January 2014.
Model United Nations is offered as a 2 unit class and is also a student-run club, advised by Dr. Gitty Amini. This organization’s primary goal is to educate the student body about the role the United Nations plays in international affairs.
This is mainly accomplished through simulations of the diplomacy and politics that occur in the United Nations. Each year, the students attend the National Collegiate Model United Nations conference held in New York as well as other conferences held both locally and nationally. They have represented such varied countries as Guatemala, Fiji, Jordan, Ethiopia Qutar, Cote d’Ivoire and Saudi Arabia.
“I never realized how much I would grow as an individual in Model United Nations. The program has given me the opportunity to hone my negotiating, writing, and presentation skills. In addition, it has provided me with the opportunity to connect and build friendships with a community of people that share similar interests.” – Sarah Keagy, 2009-2010 MUN President
- Model United Nations, New York City
- American Model United Nations, Chicago
- ATHGO, University of California, Los Angeles
- Model Arab League, University of San Francisco
- National Model United Nations, Washington, D.C.
- University of Pennsylvania Model United Nations, Philadelphia, PA
Conferences Hosted at the University of La Verne
- West Coast Model Arab League, March 25-27, 2011
In addition to MUN fundraising efforts, events and conference attendance was co-financed by the International Studies Institute, Dean of College of Arts and Sciences, College of Education, and College of Business and Public Management.
Representing La Verne
La Verne Model United Nations students represent the university at campuses and events across the country. Student participation:
- provides hands-on education for participants
- generates interest in MUN programs among the undergraduate population
- spreads the positive image and name of the university
- serves as a recruitment tool for potential students to the university
For photos and recent activities, find University of La Verne Model United Nations on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=199879073992&ref=ts.
Donate to Model United Nations
Please make checks payable to University of La Verne Model United Nations and mail to:Dr. Julio Minoves-Triquell, Advisor Model United Nations University of La Verne 1950 Third St. Founders Hall 114 La Verne, CA 91750